We are looking to further enhance our team by adding a
System and Tools Engineer
You will be based at our client’s headquarters in Darmstadt, Germany. In this large European Agency you will find an excellent and modern working environment with challenging tasks and responsibilities.
The engineer shall support the MTG System engineering team. The engineer will support activities related to Phase C/D followed by Phase E of the MTG Programme covering the engineering approach and means for MTG System performance, analysis in support of verification, validation and commissioning activities. In detail, the support will be provided for the following tasks:
- Support the process to elucidate the needs for engineering tools to support offline analysis of the MTG system outputs, through interactions with the scientific, instrument, operations and testing user communities, including analysis of challenging or unclear technical aspects;
- Support the translation of scientific and other needs into tool specification and design information, and the regular refinement and maintenance of the engineering tools baseline, including up keeping of the corresponding Engineering Tool Register (ETR);
- Support the planning and scheduling of the engineering tools development and testing activities taking into account the user needs / milestones;
- Support the development (programming and testing) of the engineering tools, including their integration within the targeted off-line framework; also handling of problem report, improvement requests and deliveries following the relevant MTG processes;
- Support the promotion and induction of the engineering tools into the ETR user community (training, hands-on sessions);
- Contribute to the coordination of the user communities and to the reporting on the engineering toolset status;
- Contribution to the maintenance of the technical budgets;
- Participation in formal reviews and technical meetings.
In addition, there will be regular involvement in the following tasks requiring interaction and coordination with the other teams at System and Ground Segment level:
- Review of System, Space Segment and Ground Segment documentation dealing with requirements, concepts, algorithms and technical analyses of relevance for engineering tools, including review of analysis and calibration concepts defined by these groups;
- Review of documentation dealing with technical evolutions of the Client infrastructure (MME: Multi-Mission Elements), particularly the off-line framework;
- Preparation of system commissioning.
In addition to having a University degree (or equivalent, including experience) in the engineering, physics or software (or similar) domains the key person shall have the following mandatory attributes, skills and experience:
- Relevant experience in preparation of specification, design, interfaces and testing documentation for data analysis systems (experience of Earth Observation missions is desirable but is not mandatory) considering the systems engineering aspects of data analysis management and tools provision;
- Relevant experience in implementation of analysis software / script against specification / design baselines. Integration, Verification / Validation, including testing and formal acceptance;
- The ability to maintain a system overview is essential. This ability shall be exercised within a multi-disciplinary context in cooperation with other teams, e.g. covering several different data processing levels and instruments;
- Ability to learn and develop the needed skills and knowledge to contribute to the development of MTG. This includes the ability to rapidly absorb, and make use of, information presented in written and oral communications in a dynamic context;
- Systematic approach to work, including the ability to plan the work and to cope with tight schedules and multiple tasks;
- Ability to write accurate and consistent technical documentation.
Desirable Skills and Experience
Previous experience and knowledge in any of the following areas will be considered an additional asset:
- Knowledge of programming languages or tools for data anaylsis (e.g. Python, MatLab);
- Relevant experience with data analysis for Earth Observation missions (Level 0 raw data, Level 1 geolocated instrument science data or Level 2 physical information), either related to specification and development or to operations and maintenance;
- Experience with generation and use of well formatted files (e.g. netCDF format, binary format)
- Knowledge of task relevant ECSS and CCSDS standards.
The working language for this position is English and therefore the person must be able to work effectively in this language.
LOCATION: Darmstadt, Germany
CLOSING DATE: 19th February 2019
MOLTEK has been serving the space and aerospace industries since 1995, providing international consultancy services for a wide variety of clients from private and public corporations to national and international authorities and agencies.