We are looking to further enhance our team by adding a
Data Processing Support Engineer
You will be based initially for 2 years at our client’s headquarters in Darmstadt, Germany. In this large European Agency you will find an excellent and modern working environment with challenging tasks and responsibilities.
The Engineer’s tasks will include a range of tasks, from the support of the day to day operation and maintenance, the analysis, design, development and testing of the facilities which also includes the handling of anomalies, upgrades and configuration changes for these facilities. The Engineer will be the focal point when it comes to integrating each individual Facility into a system context, covering all aspects from early SW development, definition of interfaces, system integration and testing, and end to end testing of the production system.
Tasks will also contain the setting-up and implementation of maintenance policies and procedures as well as the co-ordination with external providers of maintenance services.
The Engineer is also expected to be involved in further development of product quality monitoring and calibration and validation activities in Operations and in future Client projects. Contribution is expected principally in the development and implementation of the instrument and product monitoring and reporting function to provide solutions in particular in the context of offline Quality Control applications used to support operational activities.
Typically tasks will include:
- Contribute to the definition, design, implementation and maintenance of architectures for data processing ground segments and their components – with special emphasis on product quality control, calibration and validation, production monitoring and reporting. Mainly to include:
- Maintenance and evolution of applications system in the area of the Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Multi Mission Element framework and in all its components;
- Configuration Management, building and distribution of applications software releases and patches;
- Contribution to applications software system design and re-engineering in the area of the Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Multi Mission Element framework;
- Support the operations of existing data processing ground segments and their maintenance and evolution. This will also include: upgrade software, including implementing and maintaining new algorithms for product quality control and calibration/validation activities.
- Perform routine tasks in operational systems under configuration control such as:
- Contribute to the Configuration Management process and the building and distribution of software releases and patches;
- Contribute to the development, integration and configuration management of software developed by third parties, its installation, and configuration and testing;
- Anomaly investigations, documentation and classification.
- Follow up of the delivery of S/W resolutions for these anomalies;
- Perform standard S/W engineering activities such as:
- S/W testing in a structured approach to verify that delivered S/W is fulfilling the requirements or to demonstrate that problems have been corrected;
- S/W integration and verification in the Client ground segments;
- Setting-up and implementation of maintenance policies and procedures,
- Contribute to the procurement and installation of software, and the co-ordination with external providers of support services;
- Participation in meetings and formal reviews.
Mandatory Attributes, Skills and Experience
In addition to having a University degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline, the Key Person shall have the following mandatory attributes, skills and experience.
- Relevant experience in preparation of requirements, design, interfaces and testing documentation for data processing systems considering the systems engineering aspects of data processing management and data provision (experience of data processing for high data rate missions and/or Earth Observation missions is an asset but is not mandatory);
- Experience in S/W design, S/W development, Web applications programming, operation, maintenance and trouble-shooting of large complex real-time data processing systems for Earth Observation missions.
- Competence in object-oriented software design and implementation possibly in the context of satellite instrument data processing systems.
- Ability to write accurate and consistent technical documentation.
- The Key Person shall possess very good communication and presentation skills and be able to cope with very high workloads.
Moreover he/she shall possess the following mandatory attitudes and attributes relevant for the development of his/her tasks:
- Ability to learn and develop the needed skills and knowledge to contribute to the development of Data Processing applications within the Supporting Application Engineering Team. This includes the ability to rapidly absorb, and make use of, information presented in written and oral communications in a dynamic context.
- The ability to maintain a system overview is essential. He/she shall have a systematic approach to work, be able to plan their work and to cope with tight schedules and multiple tasks.
Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the following areas is mandatory:
- C/C++ programming language experience in a UNIX/LINUX based environment;
- Use of application programming of database systems (e.g. ORACLE, INFORMIX, PostgreSQL and MySQL);
- Competence in the use of scripting languages (e.g. shell scripting), high-level languages (e.g. Python, Java) and correspondent using of their libraries;
- Knowledge of XML and related technologies (XPATH, SVG, etc.);
- Competence in the exploitation of modern hardware and operating systems at the application level (e.g. parallel programming (pthreads, MPI, OpenMP));
- Familiarity with data formats used for meteorological satellite products;
- Design and implementation of MMI using different toolkits and languages
Desirable Skills and Experience
Previous experience and knowledge in any of the following areas will be considered an additional asset:
- Experience with the programming and usage of IDL and Fortran;
- Experience in Web Programming;
- Competence in S/W testing, unit test suite maintenance, automated testing, verification and validation;
- Experience in system design for quality control and cal/val systems;
- Knowledge of relevant Standards, Quality Assurance and Configuration Management principles and applications;
The variety of the tasks and the scope of the systems to be supported require the Key Person to be able to work with a high degree of autonomy and to demonstrate good analytical skills.
The official languages are English and French. The working language for the position is English and therefore the Key Person must be able to work effectively in this language.
LOCATION: Darmstadt, Germany
CLOSING DATE: 28th January 2019
MOLTEK has been serving the space and aerospace industries since 1995, providing international consultancy services for a wide variety of clients from private and public corporations to national and international authorities and agencies.